Sun, 29 June 2008
Text: I Timothy 3; Titus 1
This week we continue our study on Church leadership and the qualifications for Elders and Deacons.
1. Not addicted to wine - "near to" not wine but the Holy Spirit.
2. Not a striker - able to control himself when the heat is on.
3. Free from the love of money. - see also Matthew 6:19-21
4. Manage his household well. - Ruler of his family but not neglect them.
5. Not a novice so that he won't become prideful.
6. Have a good reputation outside the church.
See also Hebrews 13:17 and I Timothy 5:19
Sun, 22 June 2008
Text: I Timothy 3; Titus 1
What are Elders and Deacons what role do they play in the leadership of the church today? In I Timothy and Titus we see the qualifications for these positions.
1. Have a desire for the position.
2. Have no accusations against.
3. To be devoted to their wife.
4. Have a clear biblical perspective of life.
5. Must have the right priority.
6. Are to have a well organized life.
7. Are to show hospitality.
8. Able to teach by rightly dividing the word of truth.
Sun, 15 June 2008
Success and failure are both hard to handle. How do you handle failure? Listen as Dean Self brings us a message on how to make lemonade out of lemons.
1. Why have I failed?
a) When we don't plan ahead. - Prov. 27:12
b) When we think we've arrived. - Prov. 16:18
c) When we're afraid to take a risk.
d) When we give up too soon. - Prov. 15:19
e) When we don't let God work in our lives. - Prov. 14:12
2. Steps to recover from failure.
a) Accept responsibility.
b) Realize the benefits of failure.
c) Failure forces you to be more creative.
d) Failure prevents egotism.
e) Failure forces us to reevaluate what's important in life.
f) Changes the direction of your life.
g) Ask God for wisdom. - James 1:5
h) Forget the past and focus on the future. - Philippians 3:13-14
Sun, 8 June 2008
Text: Hebrews 13:7-14
Listen as Bob Waldrep of Crosswinds Foundation for Faith and Culture brings us up to date with his new ministry and how the church needs to look beyond itself in order to proclaim the gospel to a lost world.
What is a cultural crosswind? What should the church do when hit by the crosswinds of the world? Should the church change course or correct and continue in the right direction. In the Thirteenth chapter of Hebrews we see that we are to go "outside the camp". Where did Jesus do a large amount of his ministry?
The church of today has become a group of "Cultural Christians" who tend to stay within their own group. What did Jesus have to say about this? See John 17:14-26.
1) We must be careful to not abandon the faithful (as we try to reach the culture).
2) We must not abandon Christ.
3) We don't abandon sound doctrine
Sun, 1 June 2008
Text: Romans 5:1-5
We come together as a church for the purpose of glorifying God. To be justified is to be declared righteous by faith. This is done only through the work of Jesus Christ. Too many times we try to rely on our own strength but our hope does not rely on us but the Lord Jesus Christ. Listen as Paster Thad discusses justification and why we should celebrate the Lord's Supper.