Sun, 27 June 2010
Sun, 20 June 2010
"Walk in wisdom toward those who are outside..."
* Here outsiders means those who are outside the church and in the context of this verse refers to nonbelievers of Christ.
* In the past God has used different representatives including: Adam, Joseph, Moses, Israel. Today the Church is his representative.
1) The command- "Walk in wisdom toward those who are outside..."
2) How do we follow through in obeying this command?
1. Be friendly
2. Keep the physical and spiritual house clean
3. Treat them like company
b) Build relationships - It starts with a handshake but it can't end there. (1 Cor. 5)
c) Be Gospel minded - Just building a relationship is not enough
1. Just building a relationship is not enough
2. We must make sure that the Gospel is our goal
d) Seeing Potential in People
1. Remember it is God that does the work.
2. It is not up to us to know what his plan is for their life.
Sun, 6 June 2010
Before we take a look at the book of James and its teaching on the tongue it would be wise to take a look at what Christ had to say about the tongue during his earthly ministry. In Luke 23 we see the example of Christ and how he responded to those who persecuted him. In Matthew 5 we see the instructions and in Luke 23:39 we see Christ ask for forgiveness for those who crucified him.
1) His Compassion
a) the merices of God
b) spiritual service of worship
2) The Salvation of the Lord (vs. 43)
3) Surrender - he gave himself for us (vs. 46)