Sun, 28 June 2009
Text: Hebrews 7: 26-28
Here we look at the detail of our substitute.
1) The character of our substitute (vs. 26)
* holy, innocent or without evil.2) The sacrifice of our substitute (vs. 27)
* undefiled - without stain
* separated from sinners - separate with regard to space
* exalted above the heavens - lifted up
* does not meet daily because he was once and for all the complete satisfaction. (see also Hebrews 9:12)3) What should our response be? Worship - not just singing in church. see Romans 1:1-2. He is the perfect sacrifice and as such he is worthy.
Sun, 21 June 2009
In this section of Hebrews we see that the author desires to paint a picture of Christ that conveyed to the Jewish Christian audience the superiority of Christ's priesthood over the Levitical priesthood.
I. The author's desire
II. The author's description
a) "Indestructible Life" - This phrase conveys the impossibility of being destroyed. Jesus did what Aaron could not do.
b) "Better Hope" - This phrase conveys absolute assurance and points directly to Christ (I Timothy 1)
c) "Holds Permanently" - This phrase conveys that which does not pass away or cannot change. (Hebrews 7:23)
d) "Saved Forever" - This phrase emphasizes the power of Jesus Christ to keep us secure to the very end. (Hebrews 7:25)
e) "Make Intercession" - This phrase points to making an appeal to approach or make petition (see also John 17:11-19)
Sun, 14 June 2009
Text: Hebrews 7:1-10
Main Idea: The Priesthood of Jesus Christ is greater than that of Aaron because “the order of Melchizedek” is superior to “the order of Levi.”
1. Demonstrated in that Abraham the patriarch paid him tithes.
2. Demonstrated in that the lesser is blessed by the greater; Abraham blessed by Melchizedek. (see also John 8:31-59)
3. Demonstrated in that his priesthood had no recorded ending.
4. Demonstrated by the fact that although Levi collected tithes; he paid tithes to Melchizedek being in his father’s loins.
5. Galatians 3:10-29 Melchizedek’s superiority paved the way for the Jews to completely embrace Christ’s priesthood!
Mon, 8 June 2009
Springville Road Bible Institute
This is the Thirty-Fourth and concluding lesson in a study of the book of Revelation. Your instructor is Pastor George Maronge of Deerfoot Community Bible Church .
In this lesson we look at Chapters 20, 21 and 22. We explore the term resurrection and what are the different resurrections.
For a more in-depth look at the subject of Heaven Pastor Maronge recommends the Book Heaven by Randy Alcorn.
The Class Notes may be downloaded here.
Sun, 7 June 2009
Text: 1 Thessalonians 2
Patrick Cross and his wife Tracy (Biblical Ministries Worldwide) have spent the last ten years serving as missionaries in Ireland (link). They have returned to the United States and are joining Rob and Joanne Brannon (Rocky Mountain Bible Church) to help with their work among the Mormons in Utah.
Outline: In the second chapter of 1 Thessalonians we see that the Apostle Paul wanted to be both biblical and effective. To do this we need to:
1) Have a deep conviction about the word of God.
2) We need to have confidence and be bold.
3) We must have a heart of compassion.
Mon, 1 June 2009
Springville Road Bible Institute
This is the Thirty-Third lesson in a study of the book of Revelation. Your instructor is Pastor George Maronge of Deerfoot Community Bible Church .
In this lesson we conclude Chapter 19 by looking at the second coming of Christ and the Battle of Armageddon.